Ultra healthy and wholesome vegan macrobiotic bowls made with soba noodles, steamed broccoli, marinated adzuki beans, beet sauerkraut, cilantro, and turmeric tahini sauce.
Marinated Adzuki Beans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- Large pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups cooked adzuki beans (1 standard 14-oz can=1 1/2 cups when drained)
- 1 1/2 tbsp tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
Turmeric Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp chickpea or mellow white miso
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch broccoli (about 1 lb/454 g), steamed until fork tender
- 1 cup beet sauerkraut or kimchi, drained of as much liquid as possible
- 12 oz soba noodles OR 4 cups cooked brown rice, buckwheat, or quinoa
- 1 cup cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- Make the marinated adzuki beans: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, and a generous pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 7 minutes. Add the adzuki beans, tamari, lime juice, and toasted sesame oil and stir. Cover and set aside.
- Make the turmeric tahini sauce: Whisk together all ingredients in a bowl, adding up to 1/2 cup of water to achieve desired consistency. Alternatively, make the sauce in a blender.
- Prepare the bowls: Cook the soba noodles according to the directions on the package. Arrange the steamed broccoli, sauerkraut, and cilantro on your counter to make for easier serving.
- To serve, evenly divide the soba noodles, adzuki beans, steamed broccoli, cilantro, and sauerkraut between 4 bowls. Drizzle on desired amount of turmeric tahini sauce.
Leftover sauce? Sweet! It keeps well in the fridge and is delicious on sandwiches, wraps, tacos, or as a dip for roasted sweet potato wedges!
- Category: Dinner, Vegan, Bowls, High Protein
- Cuisine: Vegan, Japanese
Keywords: Macro bowls, Macrobiotic Bowls, Turmeric Tahini Sauce, Soba Noodles, Adzuki Beans