A quick, fresh breakfast for summer, this savory breakfast salad combines kale, blueberries, sweet potato, hemp, egg, and a flax seed oil/apple cider vinegar dressing to get your day started on a high note.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch each sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch kale
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts/hulled hemp seeds (same thing)
- 2 eggs, cooked in your preferred way (fried/poached/scrambled) //OR 1/2 batch of tempeh bacon*
- 1½ tbsp flax seed oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 20 twists black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Roast the sweet potato: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Dice the sweet potato into 1/2-inch cubes and place on the baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Set aside to cool.
- Wash and dry the kale. Slice into thin ribbons and place in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing by combining the flax oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, grainy mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic in a jar. Secure lid and shake to emulsify. Drizzle the dressing over the kale and use your hands to massage it all over the kale until tender and bright green. Add 1/2 cup of the blueberries and 1 tbsp of the hemp hearts and toss.
- To serve, divide the kale salad between two plates. Top each salad with 1/2 of the sweet potato and the remaining 1 tbsp hemp and 1/4 cup of blueberries.
- Serve protein of choice (an egg, tempeh bacon, baked tofu, or sprouted grain toast with cashew cheese) on the side.
*Tempeh bacon recipe can be found here.
MAKE IT VEGAN: Replace the egg with tempeh bacon, baked tofu, or sprouted grain toast with cashew cheese.[click_to_tweet tweet="Healthy, vegetarian savory breakfast salad! " quote="Salad for breakfast? Yes indeed! An easy, healthy, and fresh way to start your day. "]
- Category: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
- Cuisine: Local, Vegetarian