Vegan Chocolate Oatmeal Cake with Coconut Caramel Icing is moist, fudgey, and decadent. Made with wholesome ingredients like oats, spelt flour, and coconut sugar.
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1 cup light spelt flour (may sub all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup quick oats
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Coconut Caramel Frosting
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil or vegan butter or regular butter
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease an 8×8 or 9×9 square baking dish with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the coconut sugar and coconut oil in a large bowl. Add the vanilla extract and flax egg.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa in a medium bowl.
- Place the oats in a small heatproof glass or metal bowl and pour the boiling water over top. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften/thicken.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Fold in the softened oats and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack while you prepare the frosting. Melt together the coconut sugar and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Stir in the shredded coconut and a pinch of salt. Pour on top of the slightly cooled cake and spread evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Allow the frosting to set for at least one hour before slicing the cake and serving.
You can use regular rolled oats instead of the quick oats, but you will need to soak them in the boiling water for 10 minutes.
This recipe is inspired by/adapted from The World’s Best Chocolate Oatmeal Cake.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan