Healthy, delicious vegan Banh Mi with baked tofu, ginger pickled carrots, lots of veggies, and sriracha mayo.
For the tofu:
- 1 block (454 g) firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed if desired
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha or hot sauce
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp finely minced or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
For the Ginger Pickled Carrots:
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ume plum vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
For the Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise)
- 2 tbsp sriracha or other hot sauce
- Thinly shredded purple cabbage
- Sliced avocado
- Vegan cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread, 1 large baguette, or 4 pitas
- Prepare the tofu: Slice the tofu into six equal rectangles (see photo), then slice each rectangle in half to create 12 equal triangles. Place tofu in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over top of the tofu. Marinate tofu for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours, flipping after 30 minutes or halfway through to ensure even marinating.
- Prepare the Ginger Pickled Carrots: Place the carrot matchsticks in a 500 mL jar. Combine vinegar, water, coconut sugar or maple syrup, red pepper flakes, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. Remove from heat and add ginger to the pot. Pour over the carrots, cover jar with lid, and allow them to ‘pickle’ for at least 30 minutes, or longer if you have time.
- Bake tofu at 375 F for 20 minutes, or until most of the marinade has been absorbed/evaporated.
- While the tofu is baking, prepare the sriracha mayonnaise by whisking together the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
- If using bread or baguette, toast it if desired (this step is unnecessary if you are using pitas). If using a baguette, slice it in half lengthwise and then cut it into 4 equal pieces.
- Gather up additional toppings: I used lettuce, shredded cabbage, and avocado.
- To assemble a sandwich: Spread 1 tablespoon of sriracha mayonnaise on a slice of bread. Top with 2-3 triangles of tofu. On a second slice of bread (or on the other half of the baguette section or the other half of the pita), layer lettuce, cabbage, avocado, and pickled carrots. Put the sandwich together and repeat until you have 4 sandwiches. Serve.
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vietnamese