A healthy, perfectly spiced carrot soup that gets an extra boost of nutrition from red lentils.
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (about 2 medium)
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 3 stalks celery
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 400 mL full-fat coconut milk (1 can)
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Cilantro, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add celery, salt, curry paste, turmeric, and carrots. Cook five minutes more.
- Rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Drain and add to the pot. Add the vegetable broth and coconut sugar and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent lentils sticking, for 20 minutes, or until lentils have cooked and carrots are fork-tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and transfer to an upright blender. Blend in two or three batches and transfer back into the pot. Bring it back to a simmer, then stir in the lime juice and serve. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Category: Appetizer, Dinner, Lunch, Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian, Thai, Vegan