A moist, dense cake that’s perfect for both snacking and special occasions.
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax plus 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups light/white spelt flour (or 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + 3/4 cup whole spelt flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 batch Cashew Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 8×8-inch square baking dish with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, prepare the flax egg and set it aside to ‘gel.’
- In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar. Mix in maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and stir just until flour is incorporated. Fold in the rolled oats.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Category: Dessert, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan