This warming salad is packed with crispy roasted cauliflower and sweet potatoes, toothsome buckwheat, chickpeas, and kale. Avocado gives this salad some richness and a tahini-balsamic vinaigrette provides a crave-worthy boost of umami flavour. It makes the perfect lunch or light dinner on a chilly day!
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping cups cauliflower florets
- 2 heaping cups cubed sweet potato ((about 1 large))
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
- 4 cups finely chopped kale ((1 bunch) )
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted and chopped walnuts
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
Tangy Tahini-Balsamic Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place cauliflower on one sheet and sweet potato on the other sheet. Drizzle 1/2 tbsp of the olive oil over each and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast cauliflower for 20 minutes and sweet potato for 35 minutes, or until both are crispy and fork tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat 2 cups (500mL) of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Rinse buckwheat in a fine mesh sieve and drain. Once water is boiling, add buckwheat and 1/4 tsp fine sea salt. Stir, turn down heat to low, and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside until ready to use.
- 3. Once buckwheat and vegetables are cooked, combine all salad ingredients (buckwheat, cauliflower, sweet potato, chickpeas, kale, cranberries, and 1/4 cup of walnuts) in a large bowl.
- 4. To make the dressing, combine dressing ingredients in a mason jar, secure with lid, and shake vigorously until combined.
- 5. Pour dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- 6. To serve, divide salad between 4 plates or bowls. Garnish with the remaining walnuts (if using) and a few slices of avocado.
Feel free to swap out the buckwheat for another grain, such as quinoa or brown rice.
- Category: Main Course, Salad, Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian
Keywords: buckwheat salad, roasted cauliflower salad