The Ultimate Tofu Scramble
A tofu scramble that's ultra-flavourful thanks to generous amounts of nutritional yeast, salsa, tahini, and spices. Serve with avocado toast and greens for a well-balanced vegan meal.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (454 g) block firm tofu (organic and non-GMO)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 3 tbsp tahini
- Freshly ground black pepper, cayenne, and additional sea salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional, for colour)
Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add salt, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika,coriander, and red bell pepper.
Crumble in the tofu and cook for five minutes.
Stir in nutritional yeast, salsa, and tahini, and cook five minutes more, or until heated through. Taste and add pepper, cayenne, additional salt, and turmeric, if desired.
Serve with avocado toast and greens of your choice.