Banana Spice Cake
A moist, dense cake that's perfect for both snacking and special occasions.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 9 slices
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax plus 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups light/white spelt flour (or 3/4 cup all-purpose flour + 3/4 cup whole spelt flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 batch Cashew Buttercream (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 8x8-inch square baking dish with coconut oil.
In a small bowl, prepare the flax egg and set it aside to 'gel.'
In a large bowl, cream together coconut oil and sugar. Mix in maple syrup, flax egg, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
Pour the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and stir just until flour is incorporated. Fold in the rolled oats.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before frosting.