These vegan buffalo chickpea wraps are bursting with flavour: chickpeas cooked in buffalo sauce, cashew ranch, pickles, carrots, and spinach.
Hi, everyone. It’s been a few days! I apologize for the lag in getting this post up. I have been working to edit all of my food photos and transfer them to my new laptop, since the laptop that I’m currently using is the one that I started university with way back in 2012. To say that it’s running rather slowly now is an understatement. Am I a technological laggard, or what? And then, to top it all off, I had this whole post typed up and ready to go last night, but the recipe card disappeared because I hadn’t updated my recipe plugin!! It’s just been one of those weeks.
I hope that you are all doing well out there. I’m hunkered down at home with my family. While we get along well, we’re not used to living in such close quarters without anywhere specific to go. We’re getting through, one day at a time, as is everyone else. We’re getting outside for lots of walks and runs (at a safe distance from others, of course), and I’ve taken a liking for the workouts by Running on Real Food. If you’re looking to work up a sweat and get stronger, I’d recommend giving them a go! 🙂
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: now is the time for healthier vegan comfort food. I think that these buffalo chickpea wraps fall into that category quite nicely.
In a recent Instagram poll, I asked which recipe you would like to see on the blog first: buffalo chickpea wraps or pumpkin seed hemp energy bites. The wraps won, with 65 percent of respondents wanting the wrap recipe. Well, you people have spoken! I guess we all just really love buffalo sauce, huh?
These buffalo chickpea wraps are simple to make and packed with flavour. There are the chickpeas, cooked to crispy perfection with onions, garlic, and buffalo sauce. There’s the cashew ranch sauce that’s similar to my cashew sour cream, but made slightly more tangy and with added dill. To round out the flavours and textures, there are pickles, shredded carrots, and spinach.
One bite of these wraps, and you just might unabashedly sing out, “I’m in love, I’m in love, and I don’t care who knows it!!!” Shout it from the rooftops, Buddy. 😉
To make these buffalo chickpea wraps, you’ll:
- Make sure that you have soaked a cup of cashews. You can either soak them in cool water for 4-8 hours, or in boiling water for 45 minutes.
- Make the buffalo chickpeas by sauteing onion and garlic, then adding chickpeas and a buffalo sauce made by melting vegan butter and hot sauce together.
- Prepare the ranch sauce by blending together cashews, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix in finely chopped dill after blending.
- Grate carrots, slice pickles and avocado, and grab a few handfuls of spinach.
- Assemble the wraps by placing 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of chickpeas, pickles, ranch, avocado, carrots, and spinach on each tortilla and rolling them up.
What to serve with these wraps:
I hope you love this recipe! If you make it, leave a comment and rating below, and if you post a photo to Instagram, be sure to tag it @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen. 🙂
These vegan buffalo chickpea wraps are addictive and full of flavour. Buffalo chickpeas, tangy cashew ranch, pickles, carrots, and spinach combine to make one fabulous vegan wrap that tastes totally indulgent, but is actually good for you.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or 2 15-oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (I used Frank’s)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (I used Miyokos organic cultured vegan butter)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked* and drained
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped dill
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 3 medium pickles (I used Bubbies lacto fermented pickles)
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 4 large whole grain tortillas
- Make the buffalo chickpeas: Warm the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and a pinch of sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas. In a small saucepan, melt the vegan butter. Mix in the hot sauce and pour over the chickpeas. Cook until the chickpeas are becoming crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Make the ranch: Place the cashews, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and water in an upright blender and blend until smooth. Add a couple more tablespoons of water to thin, if necessary. Transfer to a jar or container and stir in the chopped dill.
- Assemble the wraps: Place 1/2 cup-3/4 cup of the chickpeas down the middle of a tortilla. Top with a couple slices of pickle, a quarter of the carrots, a quarter of the avocado, a couple spoonfuls of ranch, and a small handful of spinach. Wrap and and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
*You will need to soak the cashews in cool water for 4-8 hours or in boiling water for 45 minutes to soften them.
If you’d like to skip the tortilla, you can serve everything in a baked potato or sweet potato, or in a bowl with some cooked quinoa or brown rice in place of the tortilla!
- Category: Supper
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buffalo chickpea wraps, vegan buffalo chickpeas, vegan ranch dip