- 3 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (from 1 large sweet potato)
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Scant 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 medium cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp low sodium tamari
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce or ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (I use Wizard’s brand as it is gluten-free, vegan, and organic)
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 8-oz block of tempeh, cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan halves
- Kimchi or sauerkraut
- Cheese of choice
- Mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, relish
- Green Goddess Ranch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the diced sweet potato with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper in a medium bowl and arrange in an even layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa. Combine the quinoa, water, and a pinch of salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to low and cover with lid. Cook for 15 minutes and set aside.
- Place the sweet potato, quinoa, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, smoked paprika, chili flakes, tamari, Dijon mustard, barbecue sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, sesame oil, tempeh, cilantro, and pecans in a large bowl. Stir everything together, then use a potato masher to lightly mash the tempeh and sweet potato into smaller pieces.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape the mixture into 12 equal balls and flatten into patties. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until they start to look crispy.
- OPTIONAL: To get those crispy exteriors that everyone loves, I like to finish the burgers on the stovetop. To do so, warm 1/2 tbsp of oil (preferably a high heat oil like avocado or grapeseed, but olive oil works in a pinch) in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place 4 burgers into the skillet at a time and cook for 2 minutes per side, or until crispy exteriors form. You can also melt some cheese on the burgers at the very end of cooking on the skillet.
- Serve on buns with any or all of the accompaniments listed above!
- Category: Burgers
Keywords: tempeh burgers, tempeh quinoa sweet potato burgers, high protein veggie burgers, quinoa burgers