These vegan s’mores bars are gluten-free and oil-free, along with being incredibly delicious and satisfying. Made with an almond butter oat base and dark chocolate and vegan marshmallow topping, they’re reminiscent of a campfire favourite.
Note: This recipe was originally published in April 2019. It has been improved and re-published on August 17th, 2020.
Welcome to Drool City. Population: Anyone who ever so much as glanced at the tiny slices of heaven that are these Vegan S’mores Bars.
Believe me. Since making these bars this morning, I’ve made many trips into the kitchen, gazing longingly at the container that they are in, and then distracting myself with other things (grocery shopping, working out) so as not to cave in to my deepest dessert desires before I’ve eaten a healthy dinner. It’s been a day filled with forlorn sighs, especially during the photoshoot. Okay, a wayward marshmallow and a few crumbs might have made their way into my mouth in the process, but I mean… if you can resist these bars, there’s a good chance that you’re part cyborg or something.
A couple of factors coalesced into the perfect storm that motivated me to create this recipe. The first was that I looked into my pantry the other day and realized that I had a package of vegan marshmallows nearing their best before date. The second was that my coworkers had been enjoying a non-vegan store-bought s’mores bar this past week, and while I wasn’t tempted to try it, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t start craving s’mores by the time the week was out.
S’mores were always my favourite dessert growing up, but I wanted to create something a little more portable for the purposes of this dessert (because you never know when a s’mores craving will strike, and you might also want to endow your friends/coworkers/coach/partner with a container brimming with s’mores bars sometime in the near future).
Where do I even begin about these s’mores bars? With their lightly sweet, oat flour, almond butter, and coconut sugar-based crust and vegan marshmallow and dark chocolate filling, they are an absolute dream. The crust is basically a cookie crust, and comes together in a flash, requiring just a few vegan pantry staples: Coconut sugar, flax, maple syrup, oat flour, oats, vanilla, almond milk, baking soda, and sea salt. It’s the only part of the recipe you need to make from scratch, as the filling is simply Dandies vegan marshmallows and chopped dark chocolate. While they bake into gooey, melty deliciousness, you can turn up some tunes and have a fist-pumping kitchen dance party to work up your appetite. Or you can gaze into the oven for 20 agonizing minutes. I alternated between the two.
ingredients you’ll need
- Ground flax, almond butter, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, baking soda, fine sea salt, oat flour, rolled oats, chopped dark chocolate, and vegan marshmallows.
step by step instructions
- Make the almond butter oat base: Whisk together the ground flax with water in a large bowl and wait for it to thicken. To the bowl, add coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Next, add the dry ingredients one by one, stirring after each addition. The dough will be quite sticky.
- Transfer the dough to a 8×8-inch baking pan lined with parchment paper, with enough overhang to allow you to lift the bar out of the pan after baking. Press the dough into the pan with lightly wet hands. Next, press the dark chocolate into the dough, followed by the marshmallows.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the marshmallows are nicely browned.
- Let the bars cool in the pan for 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack and cooling completely before slicing.
more oil-free vegan dessert recipes
I love enjoying these bars for dessert with some mint tea and grapes! They’re also a big hit at picnics and other outdoor gatherings. I’d reckon that they’re even healthy enough to pack along on a hike or similar outdoor excursion. 🙂
I hope that you LOVE these vegan s’mores bars! If you make them, leave a comment and rating below to let me, and other readers, know how you liked them. And if you post a photo to Instagram, tag @upbeet.kitchen and #upbeetkitchen so that I can feature it in a story.
Oat Flour Almond Butter Base
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax plus 2.5 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 100 grams chopped dark chocolate or 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup vegan marshmallows
- Line a 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the base: Whisk together the ground flax with water in a large bowl and wait for it to thicken. To the bowl, add coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, almond milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Next, add the dry ingredients one by one, stirring after each addition. The dough will be quite sticky.
- Lightly wet your hands and press the dough into the prepared baking pan.
- Lightly press the chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips into the dough.
- Finally, top with the marshmallows.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the marshmallows are nicely browned.
- Allow the bar to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before lifting out and transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice into nine squares and serve.
Leftover s’mores bars can be stored in an airtight container for five days.
My favourite brand of vegan marshmallows is Dandies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan s'mores bars, gluten-free s'mores bars, oil-free s'mores bars