As promised, here is my cranberry swirl loaf recipe! This quick bread is perfect as a holiday breakfast, snack, or dessert. It comes together in under 30 minutes, including the cranberry cooking time. The maple syrup flavour really shines through here, as does the unique nuttiness of the spelt flour. As it bakes, the cranberry swirl begins to crystallize on the top, creating a crispy exterior with a soft, chewy interior. Furthermore, this recipe takes advantage of a few of my favourite Canadian products: cranberries, pure maple syrup, and spelt flour!
I am a bread/loaf lover through and through. Banana bread has its time and place, to be sure, but if you are a fiend for gluten such as myself, a diversification of loaf options becomes necessary rather quickly. You can, of course, substitute your favourite gluten-free flour blend for the spelt flour called for in this recipe. And, while I have only made this recipe with eggs, I am fairly certain that you will be able to make this recipe vegan by using 2 flax eggs (1 flax egg=1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water). Please let me know if you try it!
This loaf is delightful with a generous smear of almond butter for breakfast, or with a steaming mug of chai for an afternoon pick-me-up!
However and whenever you choose to eat this loaf, I hope that you LOVE it. If you make it, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram: @holisticallie and #holisticallie.
Coziest Cranberry Swirl Loaf
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups whole spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Make the cranberry compote: Combine cranberries and maple syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once cranberries begin to pop, turn down heat to medium-low and stir often until cooked down into a jammy mixture. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and line a standard (9×5 inch) loaf pan with parchment paper. Alternatively, grease your loaf pan with some coconut oil or butter.
- Make the loaf: In a large bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, baking powder, sea salt, and coconut sugar.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond milk, coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, and maple syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over-mix, as spelt has a delicate gluten structure that can be damaged by over-working.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Pour half of the cranberry compote on top and swirl with a knife. Pour the remaining batter on top and then add the remaining cranberry compote; swirl again.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let it cool in the pan for at least 45 minutes before removing and placing on a cooling rack. Allow to cool fully before slicing.
- You may be able to use 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp of ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp of water) in place of the eggs.
- This loaf will keep in a covered container at room temperature for 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to a week. You may also store it in a container in the freezer for up to 1 month, although I’m sure you won’t need to!